ISO 20000 Certification:
ISO/IEC 20000 is a standard and a code of practice which:
- Individuals or organizations can be certified against
- Includes requirements for processes, management systems, and continuous improvement in IT service
- Requires a definitive set of records
This standard is recognized as the first international standard for IT service management that requires the service provider to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and improve an SMS. The requirements include the design, transition, delivery, and improvement of services to fulfill agreed service requirements.
The standard is divided into two parts:
Part 1 includes requirements for developing and implementing an IT Service Management System (ITSM).
Part 2 provides guidance on the application of service management systems.
To understand the significance of ISO/IEC 20000, it is important to understand the connection between IT and the achievements of your organization. You depend on your IT since it helps you accomplish your organization’s objectives. It is an essential aspect of how you run the business; it influences you on how to function and communicate. Importantly, information technology helps you to rise above your competitors, reduce costs, improve your reputation and be more efficient and productive. However, not having a high-quality IT service management in place, IT projects either fail regularly or exceed the financial plan.
Furthermore, getting certified against ISO/IEC 20000 provides a competitive advantage for a range of organizations. The enhancement of IT processes, the criticality, review, and documentation of these procedures is an essential requirement for different sectors including:
- Government IT service provider
- Application service providers
- Insurance companies
- Banks, Retailers
- Demonstrate reliability and high quality of service
- Access key markets, as many public-sector organizations mandate that their IT service providers demonstrate compliance with ISO 20000
- Assure clients that their service requirements will be fulfilled
- Enforce a measurable level of effectiveness and a culture of continual improvement by enabling service providers to monitor, measure, and review their service management processes and services
- Reduce the costs of conformance to many regulations, including the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and Sarbanes–Oxley
- Leverage ITIL practices to optimize resources and processes
- Access additional material on security management and managing suppliers and the business.